Resources for Local Businesses
The Tacoma-Pierce County Health Department has announced that Pierce County has been moved to Phase 2 of the Governor’s "Safe Start - Stay Healthy" order. For businesses and employers this means the following activities can resume:
- All manufacturing.
- All construction.
- In-home/domestic services, including nannies, housecleaning, etc.
- Real estate.
- Professional services/office-based businesses
- Personal Services, including hair and nail salons/barbers.
- Pet grooming.
- Restaurants and taverns.
- Must be less than 50% capacity.
- Table sizes no larger than 5.
- No bar-area seating.
Beginning June 8, most employees will be required to wear a cloth facial covering or face mask, except when working alone in an office, vehicle, or at a job site. Exceptions include individuals who are deaf or hard of hearing, or who communicate with someone who relies on language cues such as facial markers and expression and mouth movements as a part of communication. Employers must provide cloth facial coverings to employees, unless their exposure dictates a higher level of protection. Refer to the state Department of Labor & Industries’ Coronavirus Facial Covering and Mask Requirements or their Which Mask for Which Task guide for details.
Please do not contact the city or the police department regarding business compliance with Phase 2. If you wish to report a business that you believe is not in compliance, please visit Violations of the Governor’s Proclamation.
The City has temporarily suspended certain Special Use regulations and eliminated Encroachment Permit fees. This allows for "sidewalk sales," and other outdoor sales on private property and within the public Right-of-Way. Encroachment permits are still required for use of R-O-W, in order for the City to review safety protocols/measures and require appropriate liability insurance.
Resources for Local Businesses
- Pierce County has extended its Emergency Small Business Relief Loan Program to include businesses within Gig Harbor city limits. Loans may be forgivable if a safety plan is implemented prior to reopening.
- Band Together: Small Business Relief Concert Series is a virtual COVID-19 relief effort designed to both raise funds to help support and to highlight local businesses struggling through the impacts of the pandemic. The deadline to be considered as a recipient of funds is July 12th. For more information, go to https://www.ghkpbandtogether.org/.
- Washington State Department of Commerce StartUp Washington resources
- The Gig Harbor Chamber of Commerce has a resource page for local small businesses and a Recovery & Reopen Guide.
- The Downtown Waterfront Alliance has a collection of COVID-19 related resources.
- Pierce County provides COVID-19 Business Updates & Information including a weekly webinar series.
- Pierce County is also providing businesses with access to free PPE, including disposable, non-surgical masks and no-touch infrared forehead thermometers.
- Tacoma-Pierce County Chamber and Tacoma-Pierce County Economic Development Board’s Rapid Response South Sound provides expert guidance for South Sound employers so businesses can comply with frequently changing rules and regulations. A PPP Loan Forgiveness application is available here as well.
- U.S. Small Business Association Guidance and Loan Resources
- The Washington Tourism Alliance is offering assistance to businesses by providing online gift cards.
- The FEMA PPE Exchange Program offers a place for private sector buyers and private sector sellers to connect with each other.
CARES Act Stimulus Package
- A section-by-section summary of the CARES Act stimulus package is available here.
- A Small Business Owner’s Guide to the CARES Act is available here.
- A summary of the small business provisions included in the CARES Act is available here.
- A section-by-section summary of the small business provisions in the CARES Act is available here.
- CARES Act Payroll Protection Program (PPP) Loans may be forgivable, in whole or in part.
- ArtsWA is providing CARES Act grants to arts groups and organizations.