Ancich Boat Storage Building
The City of Gig Harbor owns and operates the boat storage building situated at the City’s Ancich Waterfront Park located at 3557 Harborview Drive. The building provides easy waterfront access to Gig Harbor Bay and vehicle access to Harborview Drive. The Park includes a public float system to launch human-powered craft. This public float is known as the Community Paddler’s Dock.
Boat Storage Rental
Within the boat storage building the City manages the rental of a limited number of public storage racks for non-motorized, hand-launched boats (also known as “watercraft”), including canoes, kayaks, and stand-up paddle boards (SUPs) that are actively being used. The public storage racks are not intended to be used as dormant boat storage.
The City is providing these storage racks as a public service and recognizes there may not be enough racks to meet demand. Interested parties should apply for public boat storage to the City for consideration as outlined below.
The City’s boat storage racks will accommodate boats of various lengths, with most storage racks accommodating boats approximately 11 feet long and 14 feet long. The City will only be able accommodate a limited number of boats longer than 17 feet and therefore cannot guarantee availability.
Storage Rental Application Process
Applications are now being accepted for the rental period starting on January 4, 2023. Applications must be submitted by November 30, 2022.
The City has two application periods each calendar year. Each November and each May, the City receives applications for boat storage for the respective storage period of January through June and July through December. There will be no extension requests granted beyond each 6-month period.
Application forms for each application period may be submitted on the first day of the application period and must be received by the City on or before last day of the application period. If the City receives more applications for boats than it has capacity to store the City will use a lottery system to select which boats shall receive storage.
Storage rental application forms are available online during the application period. A separate rental application form must be submitted for each boat requesting storage.
The City will notify each person approved for their application at least 15 calendar days before the start of each rental period. Approved applicants will then be required to submit payment for their rental and sign the rental agreement.
Storage Rental Terms
Each person renting storage (“Renter”) from the City shall follow the storage rental terms outlined below:
- Types of Boats Allowed. The Ancich Waterfront Park Public Boat Storage allows for the storage of canoes, kayaks, or stand-up paddle boards (SUPs) only.
- Minimum Age of Renter. All Renters must be at least 18 years old at the time of application.
- Duration. Each rental agreement is only valid for a single rental period. Rental periods are approximately six (6) months in duration. Period 1 is January 4 through June 30. Period 2 is July 2 through December 28.
- Rental Storage Fees. Rental storage fees are established for each six-month rental period. Prior to the start of each rental period each Renter shall make a one-time on-line payment to the City in the amount and manner outlined on the fee schedule authorized by City Council as listed in the next section.
- Storage Locker Rental. No storage will be provided beyond boat unless the Renter obtains a storage locker rental. Storage locker rental requests is included on the boat storage application form. Rented storage lockers are vented and measure 12” wide,18” deep, and 72” in height for use with a standard combination lock or similar. The City has a restricted number of storage locker rentals, therefore cannot guarantee availability, even if the applicant has “won” the lottery for boat storage. If the City receives more storage locker rental requests than it has capacity for the City will use a lottery system to select which Renter shall receive a storage rental locker.
- Securing Boats to Storage Racks and Items in Storage Lockers. Renters must provide and use their own locking system for the boat rack and the storage rental locker. Authorized Renter solely responsible for securing boat to rack with lock.
- Hours of Building Access. Access to the park and racks is during regular park hours of operation from dawn until dusk or 6:00 p.m., whichever comes later. Restrooms are on automatic timers, generally opening at 5 a.m. and closing at 10 p.m. but hours fluctuate with seasonal parks use.
- Clean and Orderly Building. The City’s intent is to maintain a clean and orderly building for the health and safety of Renters and staff. Each Renter shall only place their boat on their assigned storage rack. Any equipment, gear, or clothing shall either be: (1) taken with the Renter upon exiting the building; or (2) placed in a rented storage locker that has previously been paid for by the Renter to the City. No loose items are permitted within the storage area. Any items left inside the boat, on top of the boat, or outside rented storage lockers shall be immediately entitled to confiscation by the City and disposed of in a manner approved by the City.
- Building Access. The Ancich Boat Storage Building is accessed by many Renters, including the Gig Harbor Canoe and Kayak Race Team. However, only authorized Renters may access and be inside the building. Any persons accompanying a Renter to the building shall not enter the building. Authorized Renter is solely responsible to open and close facility when entering and exiting.
- Building Security. The Ancich Boat Storage Building is accessed by a pedestrian door. This pedestrian door has an electric keypad lock. Each Renter is provided a code to access the building after payment for the rental period is made. Each Renter is responsible for securing the Ancich Boat Storage Building upon exit, even if other Renters are occupying the building. A garage-type door is also available for use by Renters only when actively removing watercraft from the building or replacing watercraft to the building. Each Renter is responsible for the safe opening and closing of the door and the garage door must be closed immediately after use.
- Hold Harmless. Each Renter will indemnify, hold harmless, and defend the City, City staff, and the City’s agents from all claims, demands, actions or causes of action (including attorneys’ fees and all costs) that are brought by others arising out of the Renter’s use of the premises to the full extent permitted under the law.
- Personal Property and Liability. All personal property stored on the premises by each Renter shall be stored at the Renter’s sole risk. The City shall not be liable to the Renter for any damage to, or loss of, any personal property while at the premises arising from any cause whatsoever including, but not limited to, burglary, fire, water damage, mysterious disappearance, rodents, acts of God, or the active or passive acts or omissions or negligence of the City, City Staff, or the City’s agents. Each Renter expressly waives and releases the City, City Staff, or the City’s agents from any such claims. The City, City Staff, and the City’s agents shall not be liable to each Renter for injury or death as a result of each Renter’s use of the storage space or the premises, even if such injury is caused by the active or passive acts, omissions or negligence of the City, City Staff, or the City’s agents.
- Storage of Equipment, Gear, or Clothing. Only Renters with a rented storage locker that has previously be paid for by the Renter from the City may store equipment, gear, or clothing in the building. In no event shall any Renter store any materials on the premises classified as explosive, hazardous or toxic under any local, state or federal law or regulation.
- Use of Building. Each Renter shall not use the storage space for any unlawful purpose, conduct any type of business from, or live in said storage space. Each Renter agrees not to alter or destruct the storage space in any way and agrees to reimburse the City for damage caused by negligence or fault of the Renter.
- Sublease Prohibited. Each Renter shall not be entitled to assign or sublease any portion of said storage space without prior written permission from the City.
- End of Rental Period. Each Renter shall remove their boat, equipment, gear, and clothing by or before the end of the 6-month rental period. Any boats, equipment, gear, or clothing remaining at the end of the rental period shall immediately be confiscated by the City and disposed of in a manner approved by the City. There will be no extension requests granted beyond each 6-month period.
Storage Rental Fees
City Resident Boat Rate per 6‐Month Rental Period
Boat Length (ft)
Stand-up Paddle Board
Non-City Resident Boat Rate per 6‐Month Rental Period
Boat Length (ft)
Stand-up Paddle Board
Storage Locker Rate
All Renters $60.00 per 6-Month Rental Period