Gig Harbor Municipal Court, in collaboration with city officials, continues to monitor the spread of the COVID-19 virus. In compliance with restrictions imposed by Governor Inslee and Washington Supreme Court emergency orders, and for the safety of court participants and staff, the Gig Harbor Civic Center and the Municipal Court are closed to the general public until further notice.
Modifications to court operations are as follows:
- Jury trials are suspended.
- Most criminal cases will be heard via ZOOM with priority given to emergency matters or agreed resolutions that can be heard via video/telephonic conferencing.
- In-custody cases will be heard weekly via video or telephone.
- Civil infractions (Traffic Court) are being held via video conferencing or by mail.
- Court staff is available via telephone (253) 851-7808 or via email email@example.com normal business hours.
The Municipal Court will continue to monitor the situation and re-evaluate court operations. The city website will be updated as new information becomes available.
“It is our goal to meet the needs of the public through accessibility, accountability, and quality customer service while protecting the rights of the accused, victims, and the citizens of Gig Harbor.”
Judge Olbertz was appointed by the Mayor and confirmed by the City Council (RCW 3.50.040) in December of 2017. The Gig Harbor Municipal Court has exclusive jurisdiction over all criminal misdemeanors and gross misdemeanors, infractions, and parking violations that occur within the city limits arising under state statutes and city ordinances. The Municipal Court offers a number of services for defendants under court order to comply with conditions of probation, as well as, services and resources for victims. Victims of domestic violence may obtain Temporary Protection Orders using the kiosk provided by Pierce County Superior Court.
As the Court Administrator, Stacy Colberg ensures that the Gig Harbor Municipal Court improves upon the daily operation of the court by utilizing all court resources with a well-trained staff of court employees.