Peddler / Solicitor License
In order to better regulate and license Peddlers and Solicitors, the City of Gig Harbor has adopted an application process.
- "Peddler" includes all persons, both principals and agents, who go from place to place, or house to house, carrying for sale, exposing for sale, or offering for sale, goods, wares, merchandise or services of any type. "Peddle" means to engage in such actions.
- Solicitors" are all persons, both principals and agents, seeking to obtain gifts, donations or contributions of money, clothing, or other valuable things. Peddling/Soliciting does not include place to place religious or political activity, advocacy, promotion, or distribution of such materials.
The license is required under the Gig Harbor Code, Section 5.21. Applicants must allow 5 business days after application is received for the purpose of investigating the applicant. A charge of $50 is required for the purpose of defraying the investigation and administrative costs. Two passport photos of the applicant must be included with the application for issuance of an identification badge. All peddlers / solicitors are required to display this badge on their outer clothing when engaged in peddling / soliciting activities. Each individual applicant must have an approved peddler's / solicitor's license prior to operating within the City of Gig Harbor. License expires 90 days from issuance.
Below is a list of exceptions to the requirement to obtain a license:
- Peddling of local newspapers.
- Peddling of fruits, vegetables, berries, butter, eggs, fish, milk, poultry, meats, or any farm produce or edibles raised, caught, produced or manufactured by such person.
- When that person, after having been specifically requested by another to do so, calls upon that other person for the purpose of displaying goods or literature about any article, thing, or product.
- When that person is acting in his or her capacity as a member of a charitable organization under Chapter 19.09 RCW (whether registered with the secretary of state or not), political organization, religious organization, or federal, state, or local governmental agency or entity.
Peddlers / solicitors shall not approach any home, residence, apartment complex or business that prominently displays a “No Peddlers” or “No Solicitors” sign or “No Trespassing” sign or any other similar sign that communicates the occupants’ desire to not be contacted by peddlers.
Peddlers or solicitors shall not engage in the business of peddling / soliciting before 9 a.m. or after 8 p.m.