Public Records Request
Public records are available for inspection and copying during normal business hours of the City of Gig Harbor, Monday through Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm excluding legal holidays. Records must be inspected at the offices of the City. Please contact Molly Towslee for assistance. Download Public Records Request Form and return the completed form to:
City Clerk / Public Records Officer
3510 Grandview Street
Gig Harbor, WA 98335
email: email@example.com or fax to (253) 851-8563
Processing a Request For Public Records
If a disclosure request is received during normal business hours, the City will provide a response by the 5th business day after receipt. If the request is received when City Hall is closed, the 5-business day response period will start on the next occurring business day.
Within 5-business days of the receipt by the City of the request for disclosure, the Public Records Officer (City Clerk) or designee shall:
- Make the records available for inspection or copying; or provide the record, or the portion of the record(s) subject to disclosure, after the payment of applicable fees; or
- Acknowledge the City’s receipt of the request, accompanied by an estimate of time necessary for further response; or
- Contact requestor for clarification of request; or deny the request accompanied by an explanation of the basis of denial; or
- Request a deposit for the records requested along with an estimate of time necessary to complete the request
The City will work to expedite a response to your disclosure request. Requests will generally be handled in the order received. However, the City may handle simple requests first based on our best estimate of how to most expeditiously handle the total number of current requests.
If a response has not been received within five business days, the requestor should contact the City Clerk's office.
There is no fee for inspecting public records.
- A fee of $0.15 per page for black and white copies and $0.20 per page for color is charged for copies up to 11”x17”.
- Scanned documents for electronic records request are $.05 each for black and white and $.10 each for color.
- Larger copies will be charged as otherwise provided for in the City’s fee schedule.
Deposit for Duplication -- The Public Records Officer may require the requester to deposit a sum equal to 10% of the estimated cost prior to duplication of the records. In the event that a deposit is required, the City will notify the requester of the necessity of the deposit. If the actual duplication and deposit fees are less than the amount deposited by the requester, the City will return the sum in excess of the actual amount to the requester.
Payment of Required Fees -- Payment of duplication and applicable postage fees shall be made prior to the disclosure of public records. When a deposit is required, the payment of a deposit shall be made prior to the duplication of any records.
Records Exempt from Disclosure
The Public Records Act lists the types of documents that are exempt from public inspection and copying. Other laws also prohibit disclosure of certain records. The City of Gig Harbor will not disclose lists of individuals for commercial purposes.
If a requestor has not reviewed or claimed the records within 30 days of the notice the records are available, or if the requestor fails to make payment, the City Clerk's office may close the request. If requested records contain information that may affect the rights of others, the City Clerk's office may give notice and allow time for action by the other parties.
Here is a link to a great resource regarding public record and open public meetings: