Departments > Police > How do I ... (FAQ's)

How Do I ...


Find the Gig Harbor Police Department?

If you are Eastbound take the City Center or Wollochet Drive exit off Hiway 16. Turn left -- at 3rd light turn right and right again at the Civic Center sign.
Going Westbound turn right at the City Center or Wollochet Drive exit. Turn right, go to the 3rd light and turn right onto Grandview Street. Turn right at the Civic Center sign.   (Google Maps)

Where is the Municipal (City) Court?

In the Civic Center-- same building as the Police Department, 3510 Grandview Street.  The Court Clerks are located on the main floor, to the right as you enter the building.

Where does the money from a traffic ticket go?

According to the Washington Administrative Office of the Courts, the distribution of a $124 traffic ticket is:

  • $44.78 - goes to the State Public Safety and Education Account.  That money is spent on traffic safety programs such as the “Click It or Ticket” campaign to enforce seat belt use.
  • $44.43 - goes to the city where the ticket was given. That money goes into the general fund and is generally used for Court operations, Police, or Prosecutors.
  • $17 - goes to the judicial information system – a computer system that provides statewide access to records.
  • $10 - is put into an auto theft prevention account, which is used to investigate and prosecute car thefts.
  • $5 - is allocated for hospital emergency medical services and trauma care. This money helps treat people without insurance.
  • $2 - is put into a traumatic brain injury account and used to create a support network and public awareness campaign for brain injury victims.
  • $.079 - also goes to the City where the ticket was issued.  The money is spent to help crime victims. The monetary breakdown remains the same for all $124 standard traffic tickets.

Does my dog/cat need to be licensed?

Yes.  See the Gig Harbor Municipal Code Title 6 Animal Control for more information. Gig Harbor Pet License.

Does my dog/cat need to be on a leash?

The "leash law" does not apply to cats. Gig Harbor Municipal code, Chapter 6.04.050 states that it is unlawful for dogs to run at large, free of a leash, cage, or other physical restraint, if not on the dog’s owner or dog’s handler property or if the dog is in an area identified as "off-leash".


Police Records and Other Services


How can I get a copy of an accident report?

Contact the Police Department that investigated the accident.  If it was within the Gig Harbor city limits call (253) 851-2236 option 2.

How can I get a copy of a police report?

Contact the department where the incident was reported.  A "request for public disclosure" requires a signature and ID.  If you are involved in the incident, the report may be available if completed and approved.  If you are not involved you may receive a redacted copy (information deleted per disclosure regulations) of the incident report disclosing the fact that the incident occurred, the time, the place and what happened.

How can I get a copy of my criminal record?

Contact Pierce County. This website is maintained by the Washington State Patrol.  You can also submit your fingerprints to the WA State Patrol and request a background check or copy of any criminal records on record.

How can I find out if a person is a registered sex offender?

By checking the Pierce County Sheriff's website or calling (253) 798-4721.

Where can I find crime statistics?

Check our Crime Mapping page.

Where can I obtain information of Domestic Violence?

The Gig Harbor Municipal Court has information on Domestic Violence.

How do I find out if my car was towed?

Inside the City of Gig Harbor call (253) 851-2236 option 1 or 2.

What can be done about illegally parked vehicles?

If you cannot locate the owner, contact your local Police or Sheriff's office for assistance to identify the registered owner.

What is the noise limit for car stereos?

The noise level from a vehicle is not to be heard over 50 feet from the vehicle. See the Gig Harbor Municipal Code Title 9.34.020.

How do I report a crime?

To report a crime dial 911 for emergencies.  To report an incident to an officer that is not an emergency, dial (253) 851-2236 / choose option 1 or (253) 798-4722.  To report an incident outside the City limits of Gig Harbor, dial 798-4722 (Pierce County Sheriff’s Office jurisdiction).

Who can I call to report graffiti and get it removed?

City residents can call (253) 851-2236 option 1 to report the graffiti.  Call an officer for pictures and a report. Graffiti removal is the property owner's responsibility.  Note: if an arrest is made the property owner may request restitution from the courts.

Can I intern with the Gig Harbor Police Department?

Anyone interested in becoming an intern, contact the Chief of Police for an interview and more information.

How can I become a police officer?

Contact the Public Safety Testing for more information.

How can I volunteer my time to help the Gig Harbor Police Department?

Anyone interested in becoming a volunteer can request an application from the Department.  All applicants must successfully pass a local and national background check and meet the requirements set forth by the Department.  The Chief of Police interviews all applicants and makes a decision based on his findings.

Where can I be fingerprinted?

If you are a resident of the City of Gig Harbor or work for a business that is located in the city and the fingerprints are for that business, you can be fingerprinted by the Police Department on Tues - Wed / 9 am to 12-noon and 2 pm to 4 pm.  You will be charged $10.00 up to two cards, then $3.00 for each additional card. This may be paid by cash, check, credit card or money order.

Please bring picture identification and a fingerprint card with you.  Print cards may be acquired from the requestor of the prints.  If you live outside the City contact the Pierce County Sheriff's Office at (253) 798-7441.  If you do not have fingerprint cards, you may contact the Washington State Patrol at (360) 534-2000 and request that they be mailed to you.  You may then bring them to the Gig Harbor Police Department.

How can I make a complaint against a Gig Harbor Police Department employee?

By contacting the Department and ask to speak to a supervisor.

How can I obtain crime prevention information?

Contact the Police Service Specialist, Debra Yerry-Eason at (253) 851-2236, Option #2.

How do I report an abandoned car?

If the vehicle is within city limits, report the abandoned vehicle to the City of Gig Harbor Police Department at (253) 851-2236. If the vehicle is on Highway 16 contact the WA State Patrol or Pierce County Sheriff.

If I have an alarm system, how many false alarms am I allowed per calendar year?

No more than one false alarm is allowed every 6-month period before $25 fee will be imposed. A third false alarm will be $50.

How do I get a Concealed Pistol Permit?

Concealed pistol permits are issued through the Gig Harbor Police Department, providing that you reside within the city limits of Gig Harbor.

If you are a Gig Harbor resident who is 21 years of age or older and choose to apply for a permit through the Gig Harbor Police Department at 3510 Grandview, an application must be completed and fingerprints taken between the hours of 9am and 4pm, Monday through Wednesday.  If a Washington State Identification Card or Driver's License is provided, the time period required for a background check is 30 days.  If the license or ID card is from out of state or if you have lived in the state of Washington less than 90 days, the waiting period is 60 days.

The processing fee for an original permit is $52.50 and must be paid at the time of application.  If renewal of the permit is made within 90-days prior to the expiration, the fee is $32.00.  If renewal is during the 90-days after the permit expires, the fee is $42.00.  After 90-days past the permit's expiration date, it is necessary to start the process over.  The fee for replacement of a permit is $10.00.  All fees must be paid upon application and are non-refundable.

If you do not live within the city limits of Gig Harbor, you must apply for your permit at the South Sound 911 (SS911) office at 945 Tacoma Avenue South, Tacoma (across the street from the County-City Building), between 8:30 am and 4 pm, Monday through Friday, or call (253) 798-7441.

Where can I dispose of unused prescription drugs?

Do not just throw away or flush your unused prescription drugs!  There is a drop box outside of the Gig Harbor Police Department office.  You can dispose of any unused prescription drugs during hours of operation:  8am to 5pm - Monday through Friday.  We cannot accept needles or liquids.  The Gig Harbor Police Department can provide you with information on how to dispose of these items.