Wilkinson Barn Inventory Project
Work to inventory the contents of the Wilkinson Barn is complete. A grassroots community group known as "Friends of Wilkinson Farm" partnered with the City and the Harbor History Museum to document farm equipment and artifacts stored in the 1915 dairy barn.
(pictured left to right) Warren Balfany, Dave Wheeler and Gary Williamson in front of the Barn and below the newly placed "Built in 1915" plaque designating Wilkinson Barn on the Washington State Heritage Barn Register.
Spring 2009 -- Items and debris that were removed from the Barn prior to beginning the inventory process are pictured below. As part of the project, all remaining artifacts will be photographed, documented and entered into a database. Some items will be displayed at the Harbor History Museum. Most of the contents will remain in the barn until the final use for the site is determined.
August 2009 -- Cleaning begins.
Councilman Kadzik (above) volunteers with Friends of Wilkinson Farm.
October 22, 2009 -- The picture below shows the group's progress. Most of the objects and farm equipment have been organized for documentation. Pictured in group photo: Dave Wheeler, Jerry Zylkowski, Gary Williamson and Warren Balfany.
Milking station cleaned and ready for service.
October 30, 2009 -- The clean-up is nearly complete. Long time resident Bill Sehmel, Gary Williamson, Parks Commissioner Michael Perrow and Dave Wheeler pictured below.
The walls and floors have been dusted, vacuumed and swept of decades of dirt and cobwebs; garbage removed and farm equipment realigned so that the space can be walked. The group provided its recommendation for future viewing opportunities and public access to City Council and the Parks Commission. The next step is to budget funds to stabilize the structure for public access.