DONKEY CREEK PROJECT
TRAFFIC REVISION -- LONG-TERM CLOSURE OF NORTH HARBORVIEW DR BETWEEN HARBORVIEW DR AND AUSTIN ST
Austin St has been re-opened for two-way traffic and North Harborview Dr is completely closed. Two-way vehicular traffic is re-routed to Austin St.
A pedestrian detour is in effect until early next week, and then pedestrians will be re-routed around Donkey Creek Park and along Austin St.
Due to the traffic reconfiguration, several new Stop Signs have been placed and prior Stop Signs have been relocated to accommodate the present configuration.
DONKEY CREEK RESTROOMS WILL BE CLOSED
Restrooms are scheduled to be closed next week and re-opened after the construction of the new bridge on North Harborview Dr.
The closest public restrooms are located at the Finholm View Climb on North Harborview Dr. or at Eddon Boat Park on Harborview Dr.
Access to all businesses and residences will be maintained at all times.
PRIMARY PROJECT CONTACT -- Jeff Olsen, Construction Supervisor at firstname.lastname@example.org / (253) 255-8233 or Emily Appleton, P.E., Project Manager-Senior Engineer at email@example.com / (253) 853-7620.
The City will circulate periodic updates by email. If you would like to receive these email notices, please contact Maureen Whitaker at firstname.lastname@example.org
PHASE 1 (began in March 2013)
AUSTIN STREET CLOSED FOR THE DURATION OF THE PHASE 1 WORK
NORTH HARBORVIEW CLOSED FOR SEWER WORK (approximately 1 week with DETOURS ONTO BURNHAM)
- Austin Street - waterline installation and new road construction with parking, sidewalks and landscaping on the park-side of the street.
- North Harborview Drive between Austin Street and Burnham Drive – sewer utility work. The sewer utility work will be completed in the first phase to bypass active sewer lines for bridge construction in phase 2. This work requires short-term detours while the crews are working.
- Harborview Drive between Austin Estuary Park and Donkey Creek Park - frontage improvements, widened sidewalks, and road repaving. Paving work will require short term lane closures (approximately two days).
PHASE 2 (began mid May 2013)
NORTH HARBORVIEW DRIVE BETWEEN AUSTIN STREET AND HARBORVIEW DRIVE CLOSED FOR THE DURATION OF THE PHASE 2 WORK
- North Harborview Drive between Austin Street and Harborview Drive – New bridge construction, road improvements, and widened sidewalks.
- Creek and Estuary Restoration between the Harbor and Donkey Creek Park -- Estuary excavation completed in two stages: wall construction and excavation for final stream. Once that process is complete, Donkey Creek and the restored Estuary will flow freely under the newly constructed bridge and into the Harbor.
- Pedestrian Trail between Austin Estuary Park and Donkey Creek Park.
- Landscaping in the restoration areas.
The final construction items include work on Austin Street to reconfigure it for one-way traffic, installation of the final lift of asphalt, and permanent signing and striping. As this work is scheduled to occur after Phase 2 is complete, the chance of weather delays is increased. The project is scheduled for final completion in March, 2014.
Impacts to the General Public
During the course of construction the public can expect significant traffic control, potential rough road conditions, and traffic delays. Pedestrian detours will be in place and may impact walking routes. The equipment used on this project will be large and will cause loud noises and vibrations while in use. There will be several days of driving piles to support the foundations for the new bridge and for retaining walls. Numerous large trucks delivering material for construction or hauling excavated material away will be travelling to and from the site throughout construction.
During PHASE 1, Austin Street will be completely closed with traffic and pedestrians routed along Harborview Drive and North Harborview Drive. Pedestrian detours will be in place intermittently along North Harborview Drive and the City anticipates that the public restroom at the park will remain open. For approximately one week + in mid-March 2013 (while the Phase 1 sewer utility work is under construction), North Harborview Drive will be completely closed for several hours each day while crews are working, with significant traffic control and a detour around Burnham Drive and Harborview Drive (up to the Hi-Iu-Hee-Hee).
There will also be impacts on Harborview Drive as the new widened sidewalk and other frontage improvements are constructed. Temporary lane closures are anticipated during the Harborview Drive repaving work, but not for the sidewalk and frontage work. Pedestrian detours will be in place until the sidewalk is complete and safe for travel.
During PHASE 2, North Harborview Drive will be completely closed with traffic and pedestrians routed around Austin Street in its temporary two-way configuration. A pedestrian detour will take pedestrians around the park to safely avoid the area under construction. The City anticipates that the public restroom at Donkey Creek Park will be closed during Phase 2 work for safety.
Access to local businesses and residences will be maintained at all times. Please continue to patronize the local businesses during construction but look for alternate routes if you will just be passing through.